Broad Oak, Heathfield, East Sussex, TN21
- Substantial impressive country house
- Attractive park-like south-facing setting
- Generous garaging and outbuildings
- Gardens and grounds of about 30.26 acres
- Stonegate station about 5.1 miles
- Secluded and private location
A substantial country house of about 14,000 sq ft with impressive room proportions, good ceiling heights and numerous period features. Set down a long driveway and privately located within about 30.26 acres of parkland.
Oak Hall is an imposing country house with a rich history and enjoys an attractive setting within its extensive gardens and grounds on a southfacing slope amidst the rolling Sussex countryside.
The characterful accommodation benefits from grand proportions, with high ceilings and generous room sizes, and period features including attractive fireplaces, extensive parquet flooring, decorative coving, dado and picture rails, wood panel internal doors and moulded architraves. The principal rooms are orientated to take advantage of the wonderful views to the south whilst all rooms benefit from an outlook over the picturesque grounds.
Further points of note include:
• striking double-height great hall with oak panelling, an oak balustraded minstrels gallery, a large composite window to the front and a fireplace fitted with a woodburning stove;
• dual-aspect drawing room with oak panelling, parquet flooring and a stone fireplace. The room incorporates an area forming part of a
small tower to the southeast corner of the house offering an ideal vantage point from which to enjoy the delightful outlook over the gardens to the landscape beyond;
• light-filled sitting room with an attractive fireplace and French windows opening to the garden with an expanse of windows to each side;
• quadruple-aspect dining room with an elegant marble fireplace;
• library with fitted bookshelves and a spiral staircase leading down to the lower ground floor;
• kitchen/breakfast room with painted units under granite worktops, an island unit incorporating a four-oven Aga and vegetable sink and integrated appliances including a dishwasher, five-ring gas hob, fridge and freezer. Bay window framing expansive southerly views over the garden;
• separate utility/boot room fitted with high gloss units and an integrated electric oven, with space for laundry appliances and a door out to the side; • master bedroom suite comprising two large double bedrooms, two bathrooms, a walk-in closet and a sitting room incorporating the tower, with uninterrupted southerly views from the bedrooms and sitting room;
• 3 further double bedrooms, one with a dressing room, a single bedroom, two bathrooms, a storage room and loft storage on the first floor;
• second floor with a flexible layout, currently offering a one bedroom staff flat, four further double bedrooms, one with a door out to a roof terrace at the top of the tower, a kitchen, two bathrooms and extensive loft storage space.
The property is approached from the road over a long sweeping carriage driveway leading to turning and parking areas in front of the detached garages. A spur leads off the driveway to pass through a carriage porch giving access to the front door.
The grounds surround the house on all sides, with an area of mature woodland sheltering the house to the north, beyond which a grassland field extends to the boundary. The remaining park-like grounds comprise sweeping lawns interspersed with established specimen trees and further lightlywooded areas towards the boundaries.
A generous flagstone terrace lies to the eastern side of the house, sheltered to the north and east by a mellow brick wall clad with climbers and offering a wonderful vantage point from which to survey the verdant surroundings and views beyond, as well as providing a lovely environment for outdoor living and entertaining. Well-stocked border beds give seasonal colour and interest around the house whilst tucked away to the southwest of the house is a pond overlooked by a secret garden with twin summer houses.
To the side of the house a former tennis court has been imaginatively converted to create an enclosed fruit and vegetable garden with a greenhouse and tractor shed above.
At Batcheller Monkhouse, we market properties on a local, regional and national scale, with offices in Battle, Haywards Heath, Pulborough, Tunbridge Wells and an associated London office.Book Now