Telham Lane, Battle, East Sussex, TN33
- Handsome country house (8640 sq ft)
- Elegant reception rooms with high ceilings
- Substantial annexe
- Parklike gardens and grounds of about 3.6 acres
- Outbuildings and tennis court
- Battle mailine station 1.5 miles
**Guide Price £2,000,000 - £2,200,000**
A handsome period Regency style country house (not Listed) with elegant high ceilinged reception rooms together with a superb substantial annexe.
Mature park-like grounds, range of outbuildings and tennis court - in all about 3.6 acres
Battle mainline station about 1.5 miles.
Telham Hill House stands in a rural but not isolated location about 1.9 miles from the centre of the historic town of Battle with its mainline station (twice hourly service to London Bridge/Charing Cross in about 1 hour 20 minutes) Battle itself has a good range of shops, supermarket and restaurants.
Hastings town centre, renowned Old Town and sea front is some 4 miles and here there is a full range of amenities including a shopping centre, supermarkets, public houses and restaurants. Bexhill-on-Sea and Tunbridge Wells are about 7 and 26 miles respectively. London Gatwick Airport is some 45 miles and is easily accessible by train from Hastings.
State and private schools within the area include Primary Schools at Crowhurst and Battle; Battle Abbey and Claverham Community College at Battle; Claremont Preparatory School near Hastings and Senior School at Bodiam; Vinehall at Robertsbridge; St Ronans and Marlborough House at Hawkhurst.
Telham Hill House is a handsome period house in the Regency style of nearly 8,700 ft2, the elevations being brick, colour-washed white beneath a slate tiled roof. The property is well presented and has a superb annexe which could easily be incorporated into the main house, if desired. Portico entrance porch with double opening doors to a grand reception hall from where the principal rooms are approached and the staircase leads to the first floor. Parquet flooring, stone fireplace with carved mantelpiece, large cloak cupboard.
• Fabulous drawing room with wood strip flooring, attractive fireplace with ornate mantelpiece, four shelved alcoves and four sets of double opening doors leading to the south-east-facing terrace. Double opening arch glazed doors lead into the dining room with a handsome fireplace with carved wooden surround, double aspect room with floor to ceiling doors leading to a covered porticoed loggia.
• The library is a triple aspect room with a bow window to the front, fireplace with carved wooden mantelpiece, range of bookshelves.
• An inner hall gives access to the study and downstairs cloakroom with WC and wash basin.
• The excellent kitchen/breakfast room has double opening doors leading out to a sheltered courtyard terrace. The kitchen is fitted with granite worktops, a comprehensive selection of cupboards and drawers beneath, twin stainless steel sink unit. There is an integrated dishwasher and four-oven Aga, alongside is a two-ring Neff gas hob. Central granite-topped island unit with further storage beneath, breakfast bar at one end and space beneath for a twin oven with grill. In addition there is a Smeg American-style fridge freezer and further Smeg double oven with grill.
• A door leads through to a large utility room with 1 ½ stainless steel sink unit with drainer to the side inset into a work surface with cupboards and drawers beneath, space and plumbing for two washing machines with tumble dryer. Further space for fridge freezer. Door to courtyard and two doors leading to a very useful luggage room and workshop.
• Excellent double aspect family room with an attractive outlook. Cloakroom with WC and wash basin.
• The first floor is accessed by two staircases, one with a stained glass window depicting a coat of arms. The large split level landing has two double cupboards and a larger linen cupboard.
• The impressive master bedroom is double aspect with doors opening onto a balcony which overlooks the gardens and grounds. Steps lead down to an excellent dressing room with numerous wardrobes. In addition, there is a luxurious en suite bathroom with central roll top claw and ball bath with mixer taps and shower attachments; WC; wash basin inset into marble worktop with cupboards and drawers beneath; walk-in shower, heated towel rail.
• There is a bedroom suite which also overlooks the garden, with adjoining dressing room and en suite shower room with shower cubicle, wash basin inset into marble worktop with cupboards and drawers beneath; WC; towel rail.
• To the west of the house is another bedroom suite with double aspect bedroom with bow window to the front, attractive fireplace and adjoining dressing area and en suite bathroom with panel-enclosed bath with mixer taps and shower attachment, washbasin inset into marble worktop with cupboards and drawers beneath, shower cubicle, WC, towel rail and tiled flooring.
• There is a further double bedroom 4 with an outlook to the front of the house, and a family shower room with shower cubicle, wash basin, WC, heated towel rail.
• Approached from the kitchen is a door to the inner lobby with secondary staircase which leads to bedroom 5, fireplace with painted tiles and wooden mantelpiece, double aspect with an outlook over the garden. (Note: this room is currently being used as a large dressing room.)
To the north-east of the house is a spacious annexe which could easily be incorporated into the house if desired. It comprises
• Front door to entrance hall.
• The spacious kitchen/living/dining room 30 x 295 with floor to ceiling glazed doors leading out to a terrace. Kitchen area with work surfaces with cupboards and drawers beneath, sink unit with drainer to the side, space for Lamona range cooker with five-ring gas hob and ovens beneath, extractor fan above, eye-level units. Door to study.
• There is a large ground floor bedroom with a door to the inner lobby and access to the en suite shower room with double shower cubicle, WC, and wash basin with drawers below.
• Staircase leads to the first floor where there is a landing area with access to eaves storage and door leading to the second double bedroom with en suite bathroom with panel-enclosed bath with shower above, WC, pedestal wash basin, heated towel rail.
• From this bedroom a doorway leads into bedroom 3.
Telham Hill House is approached from the lane through double opening wrought iron electric gates onto a shingle driveway with a central turning area and parking for a good number of vehicles. A spur of the driveway leads to the tennis court and outbuildings.
The gardens are a superb feature of the property with park-like grounds, a level south-east facing terrace adjoins the drawing and dining rooms, with a portico loggia. There is yew hedging and topiary, a good number of mature trees including beech, Scots pine and cherry, and banks of rhododendrons.
To the rear of the house is an enclosed courtyard terrace ideal for outside dining and entertaining, a selection of stores including a former outside privy, and boiler room housing the gas-fired boilers and mega flow hot water cylinder.
A spur off the driveway, with a separate access onto the road, leads to a courtyard surrounded by a range of outbuildings including garaging for several cars, garden stores with former tack room and a large potting shed. Within this area is a hard tennis court, in need of refurbishment.
In all about 3.6 acres
At Batcheller Monkhouse, we market properties on a local, regional and national scale, with offices in Battle, Haywards Heath, Pulborough, Tunbridge Wells and an associated London office.Book Now
Fosten Lane, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27
A handsome Grade 11* listed Manor House, sympathetically renovated and extended in a delightful rural setting at the end of a half a mile drive with about 10 acres of mature gardens and grounds with a...